GISIG represents a reference centre for common initiatives among Geographical Information Systems operators and users, also acting through the promotion of European projects and the establishment of thematic networks and national secretariats.
The GISIG objectives are:
- to set up a network of GIS operators and users, grouping together the experience of universities, enterprises and administrations, in order to foster the exchange of information and of experience;
- to promote common GI initiatives and projects, e.g. in the framework of the European Union Programmes;
- to establish thematic networks for a collaboration environment inside the partnership and towards groups of professional operators and users.
The main activities of the Association are:
- to operate as GIS Technology Transfer Centre;
- to promote and coordinate European funded projects on the interest of the partnership;
- to promote training initiatives about GIS and their applications;
- to manage university-enterprise trans-national flows of students and staff.